Southern Fried Fitness
We have made the decision to reconnect with our nutrition; through respect, dedication, commitment, and knowledge we will… GET IN THE ZONE, KEEP IT CLEAN, GET STRONG, GET REAL, SUPPORT EACH OTHER and LEARN TO ENJOY THE 20% SIDE OF LIFE.
Together we will set goals, learn to eat and cook clean, establish a custom fitness plan, set realistic expectations, develop a support team and learn how to enjoy the daily process of being your best.
I have always been a student of human behavior, my SOUTHERN FRIED FITNESS Lifestyle philosophy is a result of combining my passion for the behavioral sciences, nutrition, cooking, and fitness. The inspiration for my outline is from Dr. Abraham Maslow, founder of what has come to be known as humanistic psychology. The conscious competence theory, I use throughout the Four Phases of the Southern Fried Fitness Twelve Week Food Journal, is another name for the Four Stages of Learning introduced by Dr. Maslow. These learning stages are tremendously relevant if we are seeking to do more than merely “lose weight”; if our goal is to take control of our health and fitness once and for all then we must take Dr. Maslow’s work under advisement.
Now, enough psychobabble- for those of you interested in a more in depth study of my “Inspirational Heroes” I will always highlight them and provide a link to more information. For the rest of you, I will try not to bore you with unnecessary psycho-speech.
Below is the Four Phase Outline and the next post will be an in depth view of Phase One.
ALL YOU NEED IS A BURNING DESIRE TO BE YOUR BEST and ENJOY THE JOURNEY!
- PHASE 1 (weeks 1,2): UNCONSCIOUS INCOMPETENCE
- Discover your strengths and weaknesses
- Study and understand the visualization techniques and goal setting skills
- Begin practicing skills
- Set fitness goals (x’s a week, duration), tweak schedule until manageable
- PHASE 2 (weeks 3,4): CONSCIOUS INCOMPETENCE
- Make adjustments to maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses
- Visualization and goal setting skills into daily practice
- Commit to fitness schedule
- PHASE 3 (weeks 5,6,7,8): CONSCIOUS COMPETENCE
- Reevaluate goals
- Lose versus Maintain
- Lose, evaluate diet and decide on the course of action
- Maintain, stay committed to current plan
- STEP UP
- Intensify exercise incorporating both strength and cardio
- PHASE 4 (weeks 9,10,11,12): UNCONSCIOUS COMPETENCE
- Neurogenesis- (birth of neurons) is the process by which neurons are generated. Adult hippocampal neurogenesis is important for learning and memory. It takes about twenty eight days for a fledgling cell to plug into a network. Learning requires strengthening the affinity between neurons, so during this final month of journaling we will focus on building a strong infrastructure so your new habits stick!